We spent a lot of time yesterday talking about our first meal. I ended up with a highly disappointing burrito from Baja Fresh. I think the girls had kabobs, though I know Liza was really wanting sushi. I understand the Nasty G cafeteria is going to have chinese food tomorrow, and I'm pretty amped about that too.
But none of this adds up to us being "happy" to be home. Though initially it felt good to be back at a homebase where everyone speaks my language (or pretends to), I am longing to be picnic-ing on piazza somewhere, drinking wine and yelling at Liza for declaring "we can't have a dance party tonite." All good things must come to an end though, and since this one has, here are some superlative awards
BEST QUOTES:
E-Roc: I don't think you know what you're talking about
Steez: Well, I don't think you know what YOU'RE talking about
Liza: I think you're both right on that one.
MBA: Goodbye Fidelity
E-Roc: Either way I'm going to bitch a little
Fidelity: Pretty sure that's just the reverse cowboy
All: Dominate the streets!!!
Steez: And just think, now we have a black president.
LJ (to Fids on her first night): I'm gonna poop in your mouth while you sleep.
E-Roc: I think we can all agree LJ is kind of a lunatic.
LJ: I HOPE YOU GET SICK AND DIE!
Steez: WELL I HOPE YOU JUST DIE! YOU ARE BEING A PSYCHOTIC BITCH RIGHT NOW!
LJ: AT LEAST INSANITY IS A VALID DEFENSE IN COURT!!!
Next morning first thing:
LJ: I don't even remember what we were fighting about (for the record it was sharing a bed)
Liza: Dulles is like Europe. It's like, why all the hassles?
All: This would be better if I had my luggage with me
FAVORITE CITY
Venice. The food is not as great as it is elsewhere, and it's filled with tourists...but there's no place like it in the world.
FAVORITE HOTEL
Rome would win this hands down, but the lack of a maid gives it to Venice. It really is awful having a daily reminder of how big of a slob you are
FAVORITE ENTREES
Gnochi in Verona; Pesto in Florence; Spaghetti Carbonara at Peroni in Rome; Risotto in Milan; Eggplant Parmesian in any city
FAVORITE MEAL
Though it wasn't the best from top to bottom, our first meal out in Rome near the Campo de Fiori at Trattoria der Pallaro. No menu...they just brought you that evening's meal. It was five courses with bottomless wine, and it was like 25 benjis each. Great experience
BEST GELATO
Tied between gelato near the Last Supper on our first day, and the stuff from the top of the Spanish steps
BEST BAR
Chaplins in Sorrento win only because of Maria and Luigi; Karaoke bar is a close second, along with our "braceface" bartender's place in Venice, and the wine bar in Trastevere our last night in Rome.
FAVORITE SITE
Colliseum. There's just something about it. And St. Peters Basilica in Vatican City was ridiculous...though perhaps we were just lightheaded from walking up 500 steps to the cupola.
TRIP MVP
Me obviously. Keeping the blog + printing out all directions and tickets + finding Rome apartment + raising the bar of excellence in appearance. You name it, I rocked it. Minus one for me for being the unofficial wake up call giver. But still, I'm the shit
LEAST VALUABLE PLAYER
Katy F-ing Perry. Seriously, that song will haunt my days. We're on the bus from Sorrento to Naples and the damn bus driver's ringtone was this song. We're sitting in the Milan airport and the Italian version of E! has a new story "Katy Perry is in Love." Minus 1 million Italy.
TRIP MVP EMERITUS
Rick Steves. He had a few minus points along the way (we're still worried about Beverly in Verona), but we couldn't have done this trip without him. Highly recommend his guide books for any European traveling (though ignore his advice for nightlife...what does that fat old fogey know!?)
BEST IMPERSONATOR
Fidelity. We were about to pee our pants as she did her imitation of LJ only 3 nights after meeting her. It was so spot on. LJ pretended to be offended, but she was laughing right on along and I know she loved thee attention. Later in the trip she did her best Britney Spears at the karaoke mic, and I don't think any of us will ever be the same.
MOST OUTSPOKEN
MBA. God that bitch will not shut up:) The best way to describe MBA is that she's like a fart you don't hear. She may be quiet, but when she makes herself known you will not forget it.
BIGGEST TROOPER/BEST NAPPER/TOTAL LUNATIC
LJ. She started getting sick in Rome and suffered through the last week. But she hung in there and didn't ever complain...or at least she ddn't complain non-stop. She has also fully embraced Europe's siesta culture and took a nap every damn day. It was immmmmpressive. And though she is kind of a diva, and kind of a lot crazy, we wouldnt like her if she wasn't. When we said goodbye Liza said, "Thanks for having us," as if all of Europe was her home. But she has made Europe her bitch, so it kind of is. Anyways, we're all pissed you're staying therre another year you big jerk.
BIGGEST CARNIVORE
Liza. "Oh, by the way, I'm eating ham in Italy," she declared as we deboarded the plane in Milan. And boy did she ever. My personal favorite ham eating moment occured as we were all pursed up and heading out to see Venice on our first day. Liza says, "Should I have some ham," which I thought was a joke since she'd had so much already. And then she put her stuff down, pulled ham out of the fridge, and made us all wait while she ate it. It makes me kind of proud to know her.
BEST CATCH/UNOFFICAL PAPARAZZI/HONORARY OLIVE EATER
E-Roc. The first one I will not expand on. Every night that our dance parties started to get wild E-Roc just sat back, watched it unfold and took pictures. Hundreds and hundreds of pictures. Sometimes that worked out well for her...sometimes it didnt. She also hates olives, and yet allowed herself to be talked into trying one in almost every city. She came reeeeeeally close to finishing an entire olive in Sorrento, but when everyone was ready to leave she decided to quit. I'm still proud of her.
LEAST LIKELY TO PAY THEIR BETS
LJ and MBA (aka Abilene skanks!). Liza and I are waiting for our bottle of prosecco and Peroni respectively.
So that's all. Below is a picture from our last night. Sleepy time at the Duomo in Milan. I would have preferred to sleep here instead of Hotel Eva...but that's neither here nor there.
No comments:
Post a Comment